Monday, September 12, 2016

"What happened in school today?" (Opening Dialogue in the Target Language)

As the new school year starts, the age old question of "What happened in school today?" makes every kid's eyes roll and mouths shut tight.



I was inspired after reading this article to change my habits and start asking my boys more interesting questions about their day.

To be fair, I often follow up the "¿Qué tal tu día?" with "¿y con quién comiste?", "¿Qué libro ha leido la maestra?" and specific questions about different classes they have.  However, I love the more general questions like "Who in your class is the exact opposite?" or "If aliens came to school and beamed up 3 kids, who do you wish they would take? Why?" and "Which one of your teachers would survive a zombie apocalypse? Why?"

I decided to make a list in Spanish of different questions I could ask my boys.  I plan on asking each one two or three after school over the next couple of weeks, and we will see how it goes!
  1. ¿A qué has jugado en el recreo?
  2. ¿Has ayudado a alguien hoy?
  3. ¿Has hecho a alguien feliz hoy?
  4. ¿Quién te ha hecho sonreír hoy?  ¿Por qué?
  5. ¿Has cometido algún error hoy?  Entonces, ¿qué has aprendido del error?
  6. ¿Ha pasado algo que te ha sorprendido hoy?
  7. ¿Cuál ha sido un reto difícil de hoy?  ¿Cómo lo has superado?
  8. Dime 3 cosas buenas y una cosa mala que ha pasado hoy.
  9. Dime 3 palabras que pueden describir a tu clase.
  10. ¿Cuál es la comida más popular de tus amigos?
  11. ¿Alguien ha hecho alguna tontería hoy?
  12. Dime algo que aprendiste de un compañero de clase hoy.
  13.  Si pudieras tener súper-poderes dentro del colegio, ¿cuales serian? y ¿por qué?
  14. ¿Si pudieras cambiar de vida con uno de tus amigos durante un día, ¿quién seria? y ¿por qué?
  15. Dime la cosa más interesante que has aprendido hoy.
  16. ¿Qué seria la canción temática de tu clase?
  17. ¿Ha sido el cumpleaños de alguien hoy?  ¿Cómo lo habéis celebrado?
  18. ¿Si tu profesor/a tuviese una identidad secreta (como Superman), quien seria? y si tuviese súper poderes, ¿qué serian?
  19. ¿Cómo crees que era tu maestra de pequeña?
  20. ¿Qué crees que hace el director del colegio (o la profesora…) cuando no está en el colegio?
  21. ¿Me puedes contar dos cosas que ojala no tendrías que volver a hacer en la escuela este año?
  22. ¿Qué seria tu deseo para este año escolar?
  23. Dime 3 cosas de las que te acuerdas del año pasado escolar.
  24. Si tuviste que explicar como es y para que sirve un colegio a un alíen, ¿qué le dirías?
  25. ¿Hay algo que fingiste que entiendes, pero en realidad no lo entiendes?  ¿Qué?

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm so glad that I found your blog!

    This is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you for this post! Could you please write more questions/phrases that parents ACTUALLY need to speak with their kids?

    Phrases for different parts of the day and for arts and crafts too? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!
    I would be totally interested in collaborating with you on the project because I find the lack of USEFUL resources for a family thats is learning a new language is really pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I'm so glad this was helpful! I would love to share some phrases dialog that I use with my kids during different activities. I will start brainstorming now :)

      Delete